In order to achieve de-escalation of the situation in the eastern regions of Ukraine and implementation of the agreements reached at the quadrilateral meeting of foreign ministers of Ukraine, Russian Federation, the United States and the EU on April 17, 2014 in Geneva, the Government of Ukraine has taken the necessary initial steps, such as:
- Suspended active phase of the antiterrorist operation, which main objective is to provide security from armed separatists and prevent civilian casualties;
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine at the extraordinary meeting of 17 April 2014 approved the decision "On organizing the discussion of amendments to the provisions of the Constitution of Ukraine on decentralization of state power". The public discussion should include local authorities, civil society, academic and business communities and will last up to October 1, 2014.
- Earlier on 1 April 2014 Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine approved the Concept of local administrative reform, the main idea of which is decentralization of power in the country, a significant empowerment of local communities, change management at regional and district levels.
- The Government of Ukraine has prepared a draft law on amnesty for participants in the riots in the eastern regions, which would apply to those protesters who surrender weapons and free illegally seized administrative buildings, except for the ones suspected of committing capital crimes.
- Ruling coalition invited all political forces represented in the Parliament of Ukraine to sign a memorandum of understanding regarding ways to resolve the situation in the East of Ukraine. The proposals envisaged in the document will be made public in the near future by Acting President of Ukraine O.Turchynov and Prime Minister of Ukraine A.Yatseniuk.
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and State Security Service continue implementing an active campaign to seize illegal arms from the population.
The Ukrainian side is demonstrating its commitment to constructive cooperation with human rights institutions of international organizations:
- At the invitation of the Government of Ukraine, the United Nations Monitoring Mission for Human Rights operates in Ukraine starting from 15 March 2014. On 15 April 2014 the Mission unveiled its first report on the situation with the human rights in Ukraine.
- On 7-14 April 2014 at the invitation of the Government of Ukraine UN Special Rapporteur on Minority Issues Rita Izsak paid an official visit to Ukraine.
- In March and April 2014 at the invitation of the Government of Ukraine ODIHR and the OSCE HCNM missions worked in Ukraine to assess the human rights situation.
- With the consent of the Government of Ukraine OSCE implemented the project “National Dialogue” in March and April 2014.
Ukraine calls on the parties to the Geneva agreements to exert every effort towards de-escalation of the situation in the eastern regions of Ukraine, where a high degree of threat to life and safety of citizens still persists.